Valentine's Day as a 'Single'


Love is in the air was pretty much simmering the week before, yesterday it boiled.



No, don’t take me wrong I’m not anti-love or anything, I’m just sharing my experience as a single this valentine’s day. I really hope it strikes a chord or two with other singles out there.
Hear me out:

I belong to the category of “by choice single” and do absolutely fine by myself, but some days it becomes a bumpy road to travel on.

Living in a PG I’m surrounded by other girls who seem to be head over heels. Now, as much as I try to avoid this, I end up being surrounded by- tales, cards, and photographs of the lovebirds. This can really wreck with your mind, peer pressure can be felt in every field. Especially in the love week, it can do the following things to you, at least it did to me:

1.I considered making decisions which I could regret later.
2.I thought myself as a worthless person. (It was temporary).
3.I planned on eloping or staying in the bed all day.
4.I also grew a little anti about the whole fuzz this day will carry. (Also temporary).
5.I also didn’t like my friends as they grew so indifferent about me. (again temporary).
6.I have been in these 4 stages but something inside me forced me to do things differently.

 Here’s what I actually did:

 1.I honestly and genuinely pampered myself.  I dressed nicely and tastefully.
2.Asked two other single friends to go out someplace. We went to a new place. It didn’t even cost much.
3.A new place for me always carries new feeling to it. A different kind of excitement.
4.I then poured my heart out to them, all the complaining, frustration everything.
5.We laughed a lot. A lot. For no apparent reason as such. It was relieving.

Here’s what I learned about everything I was feeling:

I was so stuck on focusing on what I don’t have, that I completely forgot about the beautiful things I have. This further made me sad, whinny and alone. Plus I have to be more stern about my choice cause I made one, keeping certain things in mind and doubting that projects me as weak which is not acceptable.

Even if for someone who is not ‘by choice single’ then they too, in my opinion, can direct their energy in something worthwhile- can be treating themselves, learning a new skill or just travelling someplace new and fresh.

Single or double I got one lesson to my heart which is, to be madly in love with yourself. Enjoying, laughing away, yes it sucked many times to see some of my friends on cloud nine (hey, I’m only a human) but it doesn’t mean I can’t be on at least number 7 if not 9.

The trick is to just own and then steer it. No this can be applied universally, no matter what category you belong to- in love, out of it, alone, separated whatever. The ultimate aim is to feel alive and happy.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What you owe to yourself!

To Be a Woman!

How to differentiate Between Attraction, Liking, and Love!?